It’s that time of year once again…when we take a moment to reflect upon the most newsworthy events of the past 12 months. If you really want to go back down memory lane you can take a peek at our lists for 2007 and 2008 as well. So, in no particular order, here our top 29 of 2009:
1. Michael Jackson dies at 51. We’ll miss you, King of Pop
2. Tiger Woods wins another Major, coming within four of Jack. Later in the year, he loses sponsors and goes on hiatus when affairs are made public.
4. Notable people including Farah Fawcett, Billy Mays, Ed Kennedy, Danny Gans, Patrick Swaze, Walter Cronkite and Brittany Murphy pass away… just to name a few.
5. H1N1 (originally known as Swine Flu) breaks out worldwide
6. Balloon boy fools the nation
7. Somali Pirates terrorize the seas
9. Barack Obama is inaugurated as the 44th President of the United States
10. The International Olympic Committee awards the 2016 Summer Olympics to Rio de Janeiro
11. Rule29 believes that Books Matter
12. Bernie Madoff orchestrates the biggest Ponzi Scheme in history
13. Kanye West upstages Taylor Swift
14. Sarah Palin announced resignation as governor of Alaska
15. Oprah announced resignation from her syndicated talk show
17. Steelers win the Superbowl and Yankees win the World Series (again)
18. Jon and Kate Gosselin file for divorce
19. Rampage at Fort Hood.
20. Salmonella outbreak from peanut butter
21. Octomom delivers eight babies in California
22. General Motors and Chrysler filed for bankruptcy
23. According to Jim, Deal or No Deal, King of the Hill, Prison Break and ER series finales
24. Conan O’Brien takes over for Leno on The Tonight Show
25. Healthcare overhaul introduced and debated, and debated…
26. Chief Justice Sonia Sotomayor is sworn in as the first Hispanic Chief Justice
27. Twilight New Moon fever sweeps the nation
28. Lady Gaga is weird
29. Rule29, MacDonald Productions and LIA debut their first documentary, This is My Home
What were your top moments of 2009?